Ethos and Values
Be the Best you can Be
We are a community of effective learners enjoying learning and succeeding as individuals and citizens in an exciting and safe environment.
We aim to:
- Motivate, support and challenge each individual to maximise his/her strengths.
- Enhance fairness and equality of access and opportunity for all regardless of gender, race, colour, religion, social background, lifestyle and ability.
- Nurture successful partnerships with the community, including neighbouring schools.
- Promote in all children an attitude of respect, self discipline and independence so that they are able to understand and make a real contribution to the community in a changing world.
- Provide a stimulating and enriching curriculum which develops all aspects of the whole person.
- Promote spiritual, moral, social and cultural development of the school community.
- Foster an active respect for our environment.
- Celebrate achievements of individuals, groups, school and the community.
Our Golden Rules
We are gentle
We are kind and helpful
We are honest
We work hard
We look after property
PROMOTING BRITISH VALUES AT STARKS FIELD PRIMARY SCHOOL:
The DfE have reinforced the need to “create and enforce a clear and rigorous expectation on all schools to promote the fundamental British values of democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty, mutual respect and tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs.”
The government set out its definition of British values in the 2011 Prevent Strategy, and these values have been reiterated in 2014. At Starks Field these values are reinforced regularly and in the following ways:
- Pupils vote for representatives on the school council annually
- Pupils are encouraged to share their views about how the school can be improved
- Pupils contribute towards decision making and school policy
- Older pupils support younger pupils during lunchtime and through peer mediators
- Team leaders are elected and are responsible for collecting team points and ensuring these are calculated weekly and are shared with the school
- Through drama and PHSE pupils discuss issues around fairness, equality etc
- School assembly themes are important for highlighting issues around democracy rights and responsibilities (how do we want to be treated by others, respecting different opinions, empathy, rule of law, democracy, tolerance and liberty)
- At Starks Field we promote the motto “Be the Best You Can Be”. The values of this programme, self responsibility, self awareness and resilience, are taught throughout our curriculum and are embedded within the ethos of the school which is central to developing pupils’ spiritual, moral and cultural awareness
- Pupils have an annual questionnaire where they are able to put forward their views about the school
- Pupils in year 6 has taken part in inter-school debates. Through these experiences they learn about the key principles around democracy
- Starks Field code of conduct was co-constructed with staff and pupils
THE RULE OF LAW:
- Rules are consistently reinforced at Starks Field
- Whole school and class rules are an important part of the school ethos and support us to promote a harmonious and happy environment where all pupils feel safe
- Pupils are taught from an early age the rules of the school
- To respect your own and other people’s property
- Treat all adult and children respectfully and be considerate of their feelings
- Move around quietly and carefully and remember to follow the ‘Walk don’t Talk’ campaign
- Ensure the safety of yourself and others
- Take pride in wearing your school uniform everyday
- Take responsibility for actions including consequences
- Pupils are taught the value and reasons behind school rules and laws
- Pupils across the school have visits from the police to talk about laws, rights and responsibilities
- Year 6 take part in Junior Citizens scheme annually which includes teams supporting pupils to engage in a range of activities around – what is a weapon, age of responsibility, consequential thinking, road safety awareness, transport and personal safety
- Pupils are clear about the consequences if rules are broken in our school
At Starks Field pupils are actively encouraged to make choices, knowing that they are in a safe and supportive environment. As a school we educate and provide boundaries for your pupils to make informed choices, through a safe environment and an empowering curriculum.
- Year 6 topic for the spring term is ‘In the Stocks’ where they look at how crime and punishment has changed through the ages as well as looking at how laws are made. They also learn about human rights movements and research Martin Luther King, his beliefs and impact on the work we live in today
- We promote our schools anti bullying policy through PHSE, drama, workshops and school assemblies
- Pupils are encouraged to know, understand and exercise their rights and personal freedoms through circle time and the school PHSE curriculum
- Pupils are continuously advised on how to exercise their personal freedoms safely through the school e-safety programme and PHSE curriculum
Mutual respect is at the heart of Starks Field ethos and values. Pupils learn that their behaviours have an effect on their own rights and those of others. All members of the school community treat each other with respect.
Ethos and Values we promote:
- Our aim is to form a partnership with families and the community to prepare our diverse school population to become lifelong learners in a high achieving, inclusive, creative, nurturing and safe environment.
- At the heart of our school, we value the strengths of all members of our school community. We believe in providing all children with the skills for lifelong learning through engaging children in a rich, challenging curriculum within a shared culture of safety and respect. At Starks Field we believe that all learners are unique individuals who are entitled to realise their full potential.
- We believe that excellent learning occurs when children feel safe and are having fun. In our school we respect all cultures and originality. We provide inspiration for lifelong learning and both adults and child learning new things every day.
TOLERANCE OF THOSE OF DIFFERENT FAITHS AND BELIEFS:
Starks Field is a richly diverse school. We actively promote diversity through our celebrations of different faiths and cultures. Religious educations and PHSE lessons reinforce message of tolerance and respect for others. Members of different faiths and religions are encouraged to share their knowledge to enhance learning within classes and the school.
Our school curriculum consistently encourages educational visits to different places of worship. This year classes have visited a Sikh Temple, Mosque and a Christian Church.